Monday, October 23, 2006

Issues in indigenous psychology - I had a dream...

I had a dream last night about teaching a new class in the School of Psychology. Here's how the dream went:
Steve Corporal and I were teaching a class on "Indigenous Issues in Psychology" or "Issues in Indigenous Psychology." (The exact title of the course became important later in the dream.) In the dream, the class was at the University of Queensland, but it actually took place in my old high school, Northwood High, in Silver Spring, Maryland. In dreams, you can be in two places at once, and it's not a paradox. We had a group of undergraduate UQ students gathered around in a circle, and I was standing in the center of the circle talking to them. I was talking about my own journey and how I no longer feel entitled to live just anywhere I want to in the world, that I now feel I should have the permission and welcome of the traditional owners of the area I want to live in. Steve said something behind his hand to me, something simple like, "Think about shame." And in that brilliant way he has, it imparted to me what I was missing in what I was saying. I understood him to mean that perhaps the way I was talking about it was making the undergraduate students feel they ought to be ashamed of who they were, of being white. So I changed what I was saying, and said, over and over again, "It's OK to be who you are, whoever that is. That has to be OK. It's OK to be who you really are." Then we took a break in the class, and students were wandering around, and I wasn't sure whether they would all come back. I was worried about the class, and whether they were getting anything out of it. Then I realized that I had never put a proposal for this class through the School of Psychology's Teaching and Learning Committee, and that maybe the students wouldn't even get academic credit for what they were doing. Then I began to think about the title of the class, and in the dream, I wasn't sure which it really was: was it "Indigenous Issues in Psychology" or "Issues in Indigenous Psychology"? I thought to myself that it couldn't really be "Issues in Indigenous Psychology" because there was no field of indigenous psychology yet. I thought, we don't even know what that is. I woke up then.

I told my partner the dream, and he said, "Well, why don't you put a course proposal through the School of Psychology?" And he had a point - why shouldn't we offer such a course to our students? Why should something like this happen only in a dream, when we're trying to work on how to make our psychology graduates more aware of indigenous issues, so that those who go out and become clinical practitioners have at least had a little bit of exposure. And why shouldn't this be a required course? Well, I may float the idea past some people in Psychology to see what they think. But I don't think I'll start by saying, "I have a dream..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home